Lost in Time

Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin 
Translation of your official documents and papers

Many people from around the world travel to Canada for many different reasons. It is a favoured destination for study, research, business and tourism alike. If you are one of the people who wish to visit or live in Canada then you will be asked by Canadian officials to present certain documents. Some of the documents that may be required include identity cards, birth certificates, university degrees, marriage or divorce certificates, driver’s license or police criminal records. These documents will need to have been translated prior to presentation to Canadian officials. Below are listed some of the situations where you will be required to present these translated documents. Please always contact the relevant government department or agency for the most up to date and precise information.

If you are crossing the border into Canada, you will need to have any important documents already translated into English or French. This will help facilitate quick and easy processing of your entry details by the border officials. More information about the requirements and processes prescribed for entering Canada can be found on the page of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

If you are visiting Canada for a limited period of time you may require a visa. There are several different types of visa available. People who want to study or do research in Canada are asked to apply for a study permit/student visa. Those who wish to work or do business in Canada apply for a work permit/work visa. Others may choose to visit Canada for a holiday or to visit family and friends, these people will need to apply for a temporary resident visa/tourist visa. You should contact the Canadian visa office, Consulate or Embassy in your country, they will inform you whether you need to submit translations of your official documents with your visa application. Please follow this link to locate your local visa office.

If you are lucky enough to already be in Canada and would like to alter or extend the conditions of your stay, then any relevant application documents must be translated into English or French. More information about extending your stay can be found on this page of the CIC website.

Would you like to make Canada your new home? If you would like to immigrate to Canada, then you will need to submit certified translations of any official documents that are not already in English or French. Please follow this link on immigrating to Canada for more information from the CIC website.

If you hope to become a Canadian citizen, then you will need to provide translations of your official documents together with an affidavit from the person who completed the translation.

for more detailed information about Canadian Citizenship please look here. One interesting requirement for citizenship is that adult applicants under the age of 55 years must have adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada, and be able to understand and speak basic English or French.

Lastly, if you wish to apply for a Canadian passport, you will be required to submit an application to Passport Canada. Passport Canada is a special government agency which is responsible for all matters relating to Canadian passports. It is a requirement that all supporting passport application documents be in English or French, if they are not you must have them translated by a certified translator. Passport Canada describes a certified translator as “A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada.” Only a correctly qualified and certified translator will be able to provide you with the appropriately authorised translations Passport Canada requires.